Playwicki Farm is located on Bridgetown Pike in Lower Southampton Township, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. Since the 19th century the farm has held the fascination of local residents, including Henry Mercer, primarily for its geologic uniqueness and archaeological resources. This interest was reinforced with the placement of the stone monolith commemorating the Indian Town of Playwicki. Since that time and up to the present, the farm has held a distinctive position in the heritage of Lower Southampton Township. Open space, old growth forest, wetlands, agricultural land, a wildlife habitat and a renowned but now defunct quarry are all incorporated into one hundred and ten acres.
Much of Playwicki Farms importance lies in its evolution over time, with the overall history of the site combining to paint a picture of Bucks County from a hundreds of years ago through the present day. What makes this property significant both locally and regionally is that it has documented evidence of Native American habitation.
More than three centuries ago, Playwicki Farm was awarded to William Penn as part of a land grant. Over the next 80 years three different families owned the land. In 1764, a Dutch farmer named Simon Van Artsdalen purchased the farm. For over 173 years, six generation of the Van Artsdalen Family lived on and worked the farm we now call Playwicki.
In May of 1994, the Board of Supervisors of Lower Southampton Township finalized the purchase of the property from the estate of Elizabeth Snodgrass thereby preserving the last large open space in the township for all to enjoy.
The Playwicki Farm Foundation was created in September of 1996 as an independent, tax exempt corporation to raise money for charitable, education and scientific purposes. The funds are to be used for the repair, replacement, maintenance and preservation of Playwicki Farm and the development of educational programs.