Playwicki Farm’s association with ancient settlements can be traced back thousands of years. Evidence found on the site by amateur and professional archaeologists include arrowheads, tools, and pottery suggesting that the area was inhabited by Native Americans and may have been the site of the Lenape Village of Playwicky. William Penn referred to Playwicky on early deeds of the property. Whether or not the village actually exists on the Playwicki Farm has been a mystery that archaeologists, including Bucks County’s own Henry Mercer, have tried to solve form many years.
To date there have been three archaeological investigations at Playwicki Farm. The first conducted by Henry Mercer in 1893. In 1925, the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission placed a marker at the Playwicki Farm designating it as the site of the Native American Village. The second dig was done by The Heritage Conservancy then called the Bucks County Conservancy. They commissioned a survey of the property by Sam Landis and Colleen Lazenby who found evidence of Native Americans. The archaeological evidence however was not conclusive to determine that the farm is the site of Playwicky. The third archaeological investigation was conducted by Temple University beginning in 1993. This work involved the review of a variety of previous efforts to locate a late 17th century Indian town referred to as Playwicky. The settlement that they found appears to date to the early 18th century.